[asterisk-users] G729 on PS3 Cell

Jon Schøpzinsky jos at detele.dk
Fri Dec 14 02:06:15 CST 2007

Hello List.

I just got my new PS3 yesterday, and first thing I did was of course to install Linux, and then compile asterisk, and it worked without any problems.

My question is this...

Is anybody looking into using the Cell processor for G729 enc/dec?

Using the 6 SPE processing units available, you should be able to enc/dec a whole lot of channels at one time.

Looking at the example code from IBM, for creating Cell-specific applications, it shouldn't be that big of a challenge to convert the G729 reference code, to Cell.

If anybody is interested in trying this, any serious requests can get shell access to the machine, by contacting me off-list.

Venlig Hilsen/Kind Regards

Jon Leren Schøpzinsky