[asterisk-users] T.38 fax solution, opinions?

Matt Watson mwatson at becon.org
Thu Dec 13 10:34:34 CST 2007

The fax machines will be talking directly to the spa2102 - the problem is
that Asterisk only supports being a T.38 pass-thru and not an end-point.  And
I need the ability to fax over WAN links like ADSL... so I'll have a fax
machine plugged into a Linksys SPA2102 which will connect to Asterisk over
ADSL, if I route the calls directly to the PRI and use G.711u for the Linksys
<-> Asterisk connection, then any hiccups on the DSL line are going to cause
the fax to potentially get screwed.  This is what T.38 is designed to fix...
but since Asterisk doesn't support being an end-point... you need something
else to do it... that could be a SIP provider that supports, t38modem,
another ATA, etc.

That's why our planned setup is way overly complicated... just to get T.38.

--

Matt