[asterisk-users] Using XML for configuration management, single-source-of-truth, etc.

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Sat Dec 8 13:43:03 CST 2007

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 12:22:28 -0600, Tilghman Lesher wrote:

>> Well, after hand-coding HTML and SGML for 15+ years, XML isn't all that
>> much of a stretch.
>
>And so can I, but to most people, XML looks like gobbleygook.  BTW, 15+ years
>for a markup language (HTML) that has only been around for 14 years?

HTML has been around at least 15 years. I was hand coding web sites in
1993 for smal company I once owned. And SGML was well established long
before HTML ever came to prominence. It was the precursor to HTML in
many ways.

As to the XML arguement I think that I can see both sides. It might be
an elegant approach from some perspectives, but it adds a lot of
overhead for very little advantage in most situations. It could be a
terrible burden in many cases.

The Askozia project is an Asterisk on FreeBSD distro that webs the
m0n0wall GUI framework. Like m0n0wall it puts all the configs into a
single XML file. So it would seem that some may go that route if they
desire. As far as I can tell it has put a lot of burden on the project
developer to put all kinds of functionality into the GUI as people
really can't (at this point)  create custom sections of dialplan or
configs.

Michael

--
Michael Graves