[asterisk-users] Any idea how making Asterisk "transparent"?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri Dec 7 08:41:54 CST 2007

On Friday 07 December 2007 04:39:37 Artifex Maximus wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2007 11:07 AM, Philipp Kempgen <philipp.kempgen at amooma.de> wrote:
> > Artifex Maximus wrote:
> > > I am using Asterisk as transparent voice recorder for calls (isdn <->
> > > asterisk <-> pbx). Voice recording (therefore voice forwarding) is
> > > working great but seems that Asterisk does not route/bridge/forward
> > > D-Channel messages which means PBX cannot get time synchronization
> > > answer from provider and tarification impulse too. With direct
> > > connection PBX works great and use both synchronization and give
> > > impulse value so there must be problem on Asterisk side.
> > >
> > > Is Asterisk capable forwarding D-Channel and making Asterisk box
> > > totally transparent?
> >
> > No.
>
> We need recording calls with using nice functions like time synchro
> and tarification.

The real issue is that Asterisk needs to be able to understand all of those
messages and transmit them across a channel bridge in the form of a
control frame.  This isn't as big of a deal with the two messages that you've
suggested as it is with vendor proprietary extensions.  If we don't know what
the messages say, we can't correctly interpret them in a protocol agnostic
way.  But those two messages could certainly be done; they just haven't been
(yet).

--
Tilghman