[asterisk-users] 7960 Won't Register Yet Multiple Attempts?

Darryl Dunkin ddunkin at netos.net
Fri Dec 7 00:17:21 CST 2007

I've been struggling to get a stable NAT config on these forever :)

Be sure the Netgear doesn't have a stateful firewall enabled (I believe
'SPI' is what they label the checkbox). These cheap boxes tend have flat
5 minute timeouts on UDP port translations and those kill the SIP port
forward. The phone keeps sending new registration requests as it is not
receiving the reply back through the NAT box. Not even setting
qualify=yes will fix these sometimes (this should keep the port forward
active and keep most NAT devices from timing out).

With the Cisco, you can also telnet to the phone and force it to
manually register on demand (ex: 'register 1 1') instead of rebooting,
but usually useless once the NAT device flakes out.