[asterisk-users] Multiple contacts.

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Thu Dec 6 07:00:26 CST 2007

"Lacy Moore" <aspendora at gmail.com> writes:

> On Dec 5, 2007 10:07 AM, SIP <[1]sip at arcdiv.com> wrote:

> I'm going to jump in here without reading everything...  You said you can
> log into your email.  Yes, you can.  You can also login with a softphone
> on that same system at an Internet Cafe, as long as you remember your
> login credentials for your SIP device.  As Steve said, the LAST device to
> register will ring.  Do you expect your email to show up on every
> computer?  No, only the one you are logged into.

Yes, of course I expect my email to show up on every computer! I
expect it to change status to read on all of them when I've read it on
one, and I expect moving it to other folders to happen on all the
computers.

The multiple registrations issue is currently our largest problem with
Asterisk. The workarounds are horrible and complicated. Say we want 3
phones ringing when a new call comes in, but if just one of them is
busy outbound or inbound, they should all return busy for incoming
calls but all outgoing calls. Lots of fun with group counts and queues
there, and it could all be replaced with a couple of limit= lines in
sip.conf.

By the way, it's amazing how far Asterisk has come. 2 years ago this
issue was quite far down our list of problems with Asterisk. Recent
1.4.x has proven stable for us, and it has brought useful features.
Most of our installations are still on 1.2.x, but hopefully we can get
them upgraded within the next month or two.

/Benny