[asterisk-users] Door Intercom? (was: Re: Phone with public address functionality)

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Wed Dec 5 20:24:50 CST 2007

Quoting Paul Hales <pdhales at optusnet.com.au>:

another option is use some sort of linux based device n770, or even an
nslu2, and program a sip client to behave however you like, then just
fit the thing with a usb based speaker/mic.

actually, a gamepad, speaker and mic with an n770 behind a piece of
glass would make a pretty damn nice doorphone / look up the person in
a directory kind of application.

one thing to keep in mind though - lcd screens will actually freeze
and crack if they get cold enough so make sure it says on all the time
or heat the case if you do something like that and its actually
outside the building itself.

> I have seen a beta-level unit that also supported POE.
>
> With regards to non-beta hardware, standard analog doorphones work
> pretty well with Linksys SPA units.
>
> PaulH
>

> On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 02:53 -0500, Nick Seraphin wrote:
>>
>> On a similar note...  has anyone ever seen a SIP-based door intercom unit?
>>
>> Functionality I'm looking for is...  basically an outdoor rated weather
>> resistant speaker with 1 button and microphone, when the button is
>> pressed, it dials a specified SIP extension.  Likewise, from the Asterisk
>> box, someone can call a SIP extension and the call goes to the intercom
>> speaker so you can initiate a conversation with the person at the door if
>> they just rang the bell but didn't push the intercom button.
>>
>> Preferably something with power over ethernet support.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -- Nick
>>

>> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Doug Meredith wrote:
>>
>> > I have searched for this without much luck.  I want to be able to send
>> > public-address-like notices over VoIP phones.  The LinkSys SPA-941
>> > auto-answer support comes close to working, except that if you are
>> > currently in a call it places that call on hold without warning.  I'm
>> > willing to consider a more expensive phone to solve the problem if I
>> > have to.
>> >

>> > Thanks for any help you can provide.
>> >

>> > Doug

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com