[asterisk-users] New feature: calling all bug marshals

Trevor G. Hammonds trevor at concipient.net
Wed Dec 5 09:30:14 CST 2007

Philip Prindeville wrote on Tuesday, 04 December 2007 at 11:58 PM:
>Steve Edwards wrote:
>> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>>

>>> I wanted to write a "popcorn" app for myself, both to learn how to
script in

>> Just out of curiosity, what does this have to do with popcorn?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Steve Edwards      sedwards at sedwards.com      Voice: +1-760-468-3867 PST
>> Newline                                             Fax: +1-760-731-3000
>>

>You used to be able to dial "popcorn" (767-2676) in any area code (at
>least prior to 1982) and get the current time.
>
>-Philip

Actually, this was specific to Northern California (767 prefix).  In
Southern California, the Time Announcement service has always been in the
853 prefix.  The "official" numbers were 767-1212 and 853-1212, respectively
-- though the entire prefix in all area codes of the respective halves of
the state were reserved for, and rang to, the Time Announcement service.  As
of 19th September 2007, AT&T discontinued the service due to the
unavailability of parts for the 1960s-era Audichron equipment, and declining
use of the service.

That being said, I would love to have this ability in Asterisk.  Perhaps
someone has even preserved Jane Barbe's original recordings in a way that
they can be recorded for Asterisk.  That would be a kick.

		Sincerely,
		Trevor Hammonds