[asterisk-users] Replacing Skype with Asterisk Peering Servers - and Security

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 11:17:54 CST 2007

Siju George wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have successfully configured two OpenBSD ( 4.2 & 4.0 ) Servers to do
> IXA2 peering on two remote Sites.
> Now asterisk users on Site1 can talk to users on Site2.
>
> I just would like to know the following details.
>
> 1)
>
> Currently I have allowed all in coming traffic from "Site1 Public IP
> Address" on Site2 Server and vice versa.
> Is that really required? Is it possible to narrow down the access to
> port 4569 or a fewer no. of ports? What about udp traffic?

On my firewall/router that connects my * to our other asterisk, I only
have set port forwarding up for 4569. Nothing else.

> 2)
>
> Is there a Soft Phone available ( Free or otherwise ) that will allow
> users to chat with each other too after calling them just like in
> Skype. Also the phone should support call conferencing between
> multiple users. Linux support is desirable but not a mandatory
> requirement. It will help me run the same phone with Linux Emulation
> on my OpenBSD Desktop.

There are several. I'm not sure about conferencing but look at Ekiga,
Twinkle, and OpenWengo to start with.

On my setup, these talk to the "local" asterisk server using SIP but
inter-asterisk calls are still pure IAX2.

Alan

--
The way out is open!
http://www.theopensourcerer.com