[asterisk-users] Asterisk on Pcengines Alix board

John Faubion jfaubion at tx.rr.com
Sun Dec 2 01:38:12 CST 2007

> I guess /tmp can live in RAM, but what about eg. recording ten-twenty
> WAV files to /var a day, and logs into /var/log? Do I have to worry
> about the card wearing out in six months?

This is nothing really. Just make sure your using an industrial compact
flash card. These support 1-2 million cycles where many of the retail cards
only support 100,000 cycles. We also greatly limit the logs being generated.
Writing logs files creates many times more write cycles than voicemail ever
could. If your concerned about logs use syslog to send them to an external
system.

> >I'm not sure I understand the need for the PCI card to be
> perpendicular to
> >the board.
>
> So I can use a flatter box.

Then you don't want it perpendicular you want it parallel. The systems I'm
using and even the e140 do this. There is a short riser card that plugs into
the PCI slot on the board. The PCI card then plugs into this riser which
allows the PCI card to be parallel to the motherboard. The cases I use are
12.5" by 10.5" by 2" so you can see that is a pretty thin box.

John