[asterisk-users] How to handle "+" prefix

Anthony Francis anthonyf at rockynet.com
Fri Aug 31 09:29:40 CDT 2007

Adrian Marsh wrote:
> Hi Dovid,
>
> Because there may be complex logic in other parts of the context for
> handling different countries in a different way, so I wouldn't want to
> duplicate that Dial logic.  Easier to jump back to the beginning of the
> context and have the digits replaced.
>
> I original spoke to the nice folks at Zoiper about this, and they told
> me that they intentionally do pass the +  Mostly I expect because the
> client may not know the international prefix (011 inside the US, 00
> inside the uk, etc).  +  is the international standard for exactly this
> reason, and therefore as "N." says the A*k server should deal with this.
>

> Adrian Marsh
>

> Why not just use Exten => _+.,1,Goto(011${EXTEN:1})
> Exten => _011.,1,Dial(......

How then does a users phone dials this. I have never seen a phone with +
on the keypad, nor have I ever seen dail plan logic in a phone that
could correctly handle the variable length issue of international
numbers in order to do a rewrite and send the + in front. I work mainly
with Cisco and Aastra phones but I have never once seen a user dialed
call ever have an actual + instead of the code that the meta  implies.
In fact the only reference  I could find to + being an actual character
is on GSM networks. Still the user would have to use a special input
mode to dial this as it is not on their keypad.