[asterisk-users] where is 1.4.12?

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Thu Aug 30 12:27:50 CDT 2007

Stephen Bosch wrote:
> Jared Smith wrote:
>> On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 08:02 -0500, Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:
>>> As I understand it, Digium does NO formal QA testing before the free
>>> Asterisk/Zaptel/libPRI releases.  Asterisk Business Edition is a
>>> different story and gets extensive QA testing.
>> As I understand it, that's simply due to a lack of resources.  At the
>> Asterisk Developer's Conference earlier this year, the Asterisk
>> Developers were all pretty much in agreement that more needed to be done
>> in this area, but that it would have to be a combined effort between the
>> Asterisk community and Digium, as Digium simply doesn't have the
>> resources at this point to do it all itself.
>>
>>> On IRC I have been a "vocal user from hell" about the QA issues of
>>> Digium open source products.
>> I've tried to be vocal about this too.  And now that I'm working for
>> Digium, I'd be happy to try to coordinate an effort between the
>> community and Digium to try to come up with a framework where we can all
>> work together to make this happen.
>
> That's the spirit.
>
> I just wanted to throw in something.
>
> That a product is commercial is never an assurance that it is or will be
> stable. It doesn't matter if the product is from IBM (which spends a
> billion dollars on R&D annually) or Cisco or Nortel.
>
> Commercial products break, no matter how much they cost.
>
> Most vendors do a careful job of obfuscating the instability in their
> own product. Depending on the depth in their technical staff, they will
> solve the problem quickly or slowly, or offer you some limp workaround.
> That is somewhat correlated with the cost and class of the product. If
> you believe, however, that paying for a product means that it will work
> reliably or as promised, you are living in a Madison Avenue-induced haze.
>
> Either way... it shouldn't be an excuse for us or Digium to accept less.
> Take the Linux kernel -- there is a community project with a rigorous
> vetting process, and I would say the Linux kernel is extremely stable.
>
> We can and should introduce a similar rigor for Asterisk. A big step in
> that direction is patience and focus. The "creeping featurism" could
> make way for an increased concentration on reliability. That's a
> development roadmap thing.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Stephen-

I started this whole thing by misreading an announcement.

I can't get the core information right not as I rolled back to keep my
office happy.  Over the weekend I'll reload 1.4.11 and wait for a core
dump.  they happen regularly enough :(  then I'll get a stack trace and
whatever else is needed into the bug tracker to solve the problem.

Given that there are a couple of days before I can do this, anyone care
to give me some pointers as to what I should collect so I can get it all
in one go?

Thanks