[asterisk-users] where is 1.4.12?

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Thu Aug 30 08:02:19 CDT 2007

Matt wrote:
> Absolutely not!  However, if someone gave me a free flight, but the
> plane went down 3 out of the 5 times it took off, yes I would :)
> Then, if the makes of the plane released a new version where they
> "fixed" the problem, but now instead of going down because the motors
> shut off, it would go down 3 out of 5 times because the rudder would
> get stuck in an odd position (note this didn't happen before the motor
> 'bug' fix).   Finally, 4 versions later we have a stable plane that
> can fly for about 2 months before it crashes, however, if you land it
> each night it will run fine.   But, alas, terrorists have found a way
> to get into the plane and hijack it, so the airline releases nothing
> more than a security upgrade for it.  Now, however, we find that after
> flying for 2 hours, the wheels fall off the plane.

Airplanes are built, maintained, and operated under extremely restricted
operational conditions.

Asterisk, which derives its very name from the notion of ubiquity, is
being used by everyone to do everything, and regression testing in that
environment is, um, "challenging."

I run a fairly recent version of SVN-trunk as my primary Asterisk
server.  Traffic loads are relatively light because I'm a small-bones
player, but I have lots of different channel technologies, many ITSPs,
and a network of over a dozen cooperating servers running several
different versions.  It's not a lie to say that my systems *never* go
down as long as they're supplied with power--which in rural Indiana is
never a sure thing.

I agree with Russell's initial assessment; Matt's phrasing, if not his
intent, emanated from the land of the troll. . . if for no other reason
than the implication that Digium is solely responsible for the
development of the product.

FWIW.

b.

b.