[asterisk-users] Monitor System using AGI Scripts

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Wed Aug 29 11:29:19 CDT 2007

Quoting Nitesh Divecha <nitesh at vipernetworks.com>:

> Thanks Jared,
>
> Basically, it would be a totally different system running Asterisk with
> AGI scripts and monitoring other systems (Web Servers, FTP, SMTP). Not
> specifically monitoring ports (80, 21, 25) but whole system. If system
> timeouts then AGI scripts are triggered and notify system admin.
>
> I saw one PHP-AGI example "ping.php", might able to modify abit and work
> around... but to ping a systems 24/7 its chaos...

I built something like this but just injected a call with a play file
into the call queue.

Most times its just more damn annoying than anything else and is no
longer in use. when you already know there is a problem you don't want
to have to go answer the phone just to make it stop trying to get a
call through.

SMS is more effective since the messages just pile up and you don't
need to answer each one, especially if you are already busy dealing
with it.

PS: another mistake I made was a second "everything is ok" call once
the problem goes away, much better to be able to check status on
demand than get that.

there are plenty of things like opennms that can generate the "down"
events already, just use one of those and script whatever action you
want to happen.

> Cheers,
> Nitesh
>

> Jared Smith wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 10:46 -0400, Nitesh Divecha wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone using AGI scripts to monitor their systems?
>>>
>>> Something like if the system goes down, AGI script will be triggered and
>>> system admin will be notified saying "System XYZ has gone down"...
>>>

>> If the system goes down, how would an AGI script get triggered?  I know
>> lots of people using the Asterisk Manager Interface to monitor their
>> Asterisk systems, or res_snmp on Asterisk 1.4.  You'd probably be better
>> suited to look at those first.

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com