[asterisk-users] Distributed System

Peder @ NetworkOblivion peder at networkoblivion.com
Tue Aug 28 14:44:59 CDT 2007

The question I always have when someone mentions distributing the load
across multiple machines is "how do you handle contexts for phones on
different machines?"  I want all of my phones to dial into
[companyA-phones].  I have to define it in two different places (or more
depending on the number of boxes).

Also, say I have a single company and I want a single auto attendant
with dial by name?  If users go to two different boxes, then voicemail
"dial by name" will break because voicemail won't check both boxes for
the name.  Also, what about dialing a peer.  Say all of my phones are
2xx.  If I am 201 and I dial 202, how is my dialplan setup so that it
knows that 202 is on box 2, versus box 1 where I am registered?

I think having several boxes works fine if you are doing "home user"
type stuff where you don't have lots of users within one context, but if
you have offices with several people, I just see lots of potential
issues.  I could be wrong, but I've never been able to figure out a way
around it.