[asterisk-users] IAX2 trunking scalability

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Tue Aug 28 06:23:58 CDT 2007

Hi,

I thought I'd give a follow up to this discussion for the archives...

Currently I'm trunking 30 channels of g.729 traffic (no transcoding going
on, the call comes in and goes out as g.729) and it takes about 350 kbps
bandwith bidirectional.

So on average each call takes 11.5 - 12 kbps of bandwith. The solution
seems stable and the QoS is identical... so for the price (2 commodity
PCs...), IAX2 trunking is well worth the effort since it reduces bandwith
usage by a factor of 2.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.

--