[asterisk-users] which OS would be fine for asterisk

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sat Aug 25 13:45:10 CDT 2007

Joe Acquisto wrote:
> . . .
>
>> The "value" would be "live" support and access to online updates.
>> "Courtesy" (for the price) of Novell.
>>
>>> There are, of course, some differences between OpenSuse and SLES.  I've run
>>>
>> Asterisk on SLES 9 and SLES 10 without problems.
>>
>>> Your View/Mileage May Vary.
>>>
>>> joe a.
>>>

>> With OpenSuSE you get free updates. The support is of no value to me.
>>

> As stated YMVMV.
>
> For some people, the ability to have support and to have updates downloaded and installed "automatically", (if desired) might be of value.  For others, it would have no value or even a negative value.
>
> joe a.

But in all reality, value added features such as support and automatic
updates aside, is there really a mainstream flavor of Linux that is
"better" or "worse" for running Asterisk (or other apps for that matter)?

I have had equal luck with all that I have played with (but not heavy
load tested).

I am bringing up several Fedora Core 7 boxen into production now.

Besides a knee jerk reaction that "Fedora Sucks", can someone give a
real argument as to why I should or should not use it for production?
(besides the several MB of yum updates daily, which to me is a good thing).

Besides naming a flavor and saying "It is the best", can someone add a
few statements as to why, which will obviously have to compare the other
flavors.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro