[asterisk-users] asterisk and vad/cng

Adam KOSA adamk at 3a.hu
Sat Aug 25 09:41:53 CDT 2007

Hi List,

i've set up a cisco 7912 for my asterisk box.  I've had problems with
VAD and CNG.  After googling a bit, i've found an article about asterisk
not supporting these two protocols, therefore it's better to turn them off.

Since then i did not found answer to my two questions, maybe somebody
here could help me:

a) am i even able to turn off vad/cng on cisco 7912?  SIP image 8.0
version.  I've been through the cisco admin guide, but it did not help.
b) the article mentioned above was dated 2006, does asterisk still not
support VAD/CNG?  I'm using 1.4.8, the log says it does not, but maybe a
patch, or 1.4.11?

I encounter no big problems, only with MOH: i have to make some noise
(breathing loud etc) to hear the music.  Not a big deal after all.

And some other questions not really related:  anybody has experience
with the following phones: linksys 921/941 and cisco 3911?  Do these
have the same problem?  According to their datasheet, linksys supports
VAD, but the user guide says nothing about turning it off.

Thank you for any replies, it would help me a lot!

Regards
Adam