[asterisk-users] IAX2 trunking scalability

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Fri Aug 24 18:19:37 CDT 2007

Hi List,

I have a 2Mbps SDSL link which gets saturated during peak time because
about I have about 3 E1 worth of g729 traffic going thru. So I'm planning
to use IAX2 trunking to reduce bandwith requirement and squeeze out each
and every bit of this (expensive) bandwith.

I've set up two boxes (debian etch), one in a remote data center (which
has plenty of bandwith) and one behing the SDSL link. To make things
consistent I've installed the same kernel, latest stable zapata + asterisk
on both ends.

I've done some tests with about 1/2 E1 (15 channels) worth of calls and so
far it's been working good - and the call statistics (ASR, ACD, PDD) are
roughtly the same. So far, so good!

Now the big question is: how far can I expect it to scale? Has anybody
successfully mounted IAX2 trunking with 3-4 E1s worth of traffic?

Your experience and feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.