[asterisk-users] Stable-Stable Asterisk

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Fri Aug 24 12:27:36 CDT 2007

James FitzGibbon wrote:
> On 8/24/07, *Joshua Colp* <jcolp at digium.com <mailto:jcolp at digium.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     I'm going to end this email with a question myself... how many people
>     have Asterisk on a development/staging server before deployment, test,
>     and isolate the issues they may have in their specific scenario?
>

> I do, but many of the problems I have experienced (see #10199 for an
> example) don't manifest under anything but production loads.  In that
> particular case, I couldn't find a way to replicate the levels of
> traffic and the nuances of agent pickup / ignore / hangup / etc. in my
> lab.  My current load test consists of a lab box generating about 50-75
> concurrent calls to an ITSP that terminate on another * conencted to
> PRI.  But what you do with a call when it hits your box can make a
> difference.  I had a load test that just walked through my IVRs pressing
> random keys for about 5 minutes.  I could load 4 PRI full of calls to
> that context and the box would be fine.  The second I added queueing (so
> that there was SIP signalling out to agent softphones), I'd get a kernel
> panic.  The agent didn't even have to pick up the phone - just making it
> ring was enough.
>
> Let me ask a question myself: what kind of regression test does *
> undergo before release, and what level of traffic gets put through stuff
> like app_queue?  I assume it's not real-world scale, else these hard to
> pin down concurrency issues we're seeing would have been caught in test.

Open source Asterisk has no real regression testing before release. As
we work on things we test and a few of us use it at home (like myself).
The time and resources involved in regression testing Asterisk are just
huge, which is why it is limited to business edition. As bugs are found
in business edition though they are fixed in the open source version as
well. That is why I asked about the testing people do ahead of time, I
was curious how many people do it.

--
Joshua Colp
Software Developer