[asterisk-users] Authenticating SIP user in LDAP database instead of SIP.conf file

Abhishek M S abhishek.suhas at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 04:37:55 CDT 2007

Dear All,
Am happy to say that I've successfully been able to register a SIP user from
a soft phone terminal via LDAP. The biggest hurdle that I had to overcome
was the  LDAP-Asterisk schema.  The schema example given in the astirectory
installation document is incomplete.
Here's are a few pointers in this regard:

The attributes have to be defined in the following way. Also tab spaces
should be avoided.

dn: cn=schema
changetype: modify
add: attributetypes
attributeTypes: ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.23935.5.4.1
                NAME 'astUsername'
                DESC ''
                SUP name
                EQUALITY caseIgnoreMatch
                SUBSTR caseIgnoreSubstringsMatch
                SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15)
NAME should be the same as objectIdentifier

 DESC should be the description of the attribute

 EQUALITY is the rule to use when doing a search/compare for an
  attribute value.

 SUBSTR is the rule to use when doing a substring search (*foo*)

 SYNTAX is the syntax (i.e., type) of the attribute. We should
 probably stick to syntaxes:

       1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15   -> directoryString (UTF-8 string)
       1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26   -> IA5String (ASCII String)
       1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.27   -> integer (Integer value)

The object class has to be always defined as AUXILLARY and never ABSTRACT.

dn: cn=schema
changetype: modify
add: objectclasses
objectClasses: ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.23935.5.5.1
        NAME 'astSipGeneric'
        DESC ''
        SUP top AUXILIARY
                    MUST ( astContext )
                    MAY ( astSecret $ astPermit $ astDeny $ astMd5Secret $
astDtmfmode $ astCanreinvite $ astNat $ astCallgroup $ astPickupgroup $
astAllow $ astDisallow $ astInsecure $ astTrustrpid $ astProgressinband $
astPromiscredir $ astRegseconds $ astname $ astLanguage ) )

Best Regards
Abhishek