[asterisk-users] Asterisk Message Logs

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 13:32:02 CDT 2007

On Thursday 23 August 2007 14:00, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> > I utilize this command:
> >
> > nohup script -f -c "asterisk -vvvTn" /tmp/asterisk.log &
> >
> > To start up my apps. This will log everything to a log file.
>
> Why nohup? And if you have nohup, why script?
>
> It will log everything until the cotrolling terminal is lost, right? I
> think what you're actually looking for is screen.
>

> If you want asterisk daemonized but still want it verbose, use -F

I call asterisk startup from a shell script. "nohup" will guarantee that the
process will not die if the calling process (whatever started the shell
script) dies.

script is what I use to make sure that everything that would otherwise go to
the asterisk cli output makes it into that file. We spawn our own extensions
from asterisk which the asterisk logging facility does not capture. This way
we get everything that would be seen on the cli. I'm not looking for screen
functionality.

-F is not an option on my version of asterisk.

Ron