[asterisk-users] [asterisk-biz] Skype Outage Leaves Millions Speechless

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Wed Aug 22 14:11:37 CDT 2007

Matthew Rubenstein wrote:
> 	Imagine if the world's largest online marketplace operated the world's
> largest alternative (and one of the largest in general) telco and an
> unregulated global online banking monopoly. And the telco suddenly went
> down, unexplained, for hours or days.
>
> 	That sounds like a serious threat to global economy and security,
> right?

If the global economy is depending on a free, unguaranteed third-party
VoIP service for critical communications, it deserves to go down in
flames. I don't use Skype for anything important. It's nothing more than
a "nice to have".

A tempest in a teapot. Embarrassing for Skype and eBay? Sure! A sign of
Armageddon? Hardly.

If anything, this is another warning against relying on Microsoft Windows.

-Stephen-