[asterisk-users] phone as control interface (was 99 bottles of beer)

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Wed Aug 22 11:13:41 CDT 2007

Steve Edwards wrote:

> Personally, I hate voice recognition systems. Voice prompts are
> great, but don't take away my keypad.

I never proposed to take away your keypad, I just wanted to add the
voice option as well.  What I do want to get rid of is the step
below where you press ** to get into remote mode.  What I think would
be smoother is to have the extensions organized in such a way that
the first button press (or voice utterance) is enough to determine
whether the session is a phone call or an automation request.  Then
as soon as the phone is picked up you'd get into the automation context
and the voice menu you gave would start right away.  Then if it turned
out that first button meant that the user really wanted to make a call,
then Asterisk would shift into the normal call dialplan, but reprocess
that already pressed key as part of the phone number to dial.

I think that we can provide something more intelligent when the
phone is first picked up than your basic dialtone and not require
extra button presses to get into the right mode.  Your desire is for
speed and so is mine.

Steve