[asterisk-users] Saftware RAID1 or Hardware RAID1 with Asterisk

Steven asterisk at tescogroup.com
Wed Aug 22 08:50:29 CDT 2007

For RAID1, I am not sure.

But for RAID 5, You should always use hardware RAID.

If you use software RAID and your CPU spikes for too long, you can corrupt your disks. I have seen this several times.

Steven

http://www.glimasoutheast.org

  "Vidura Senadeera" <vidurased at gmail.com> wrote in message news:afa14ef00708201903v209f8034lca006c8093251a2a at mail.gmail.com...

  Dear All,

  I would like to get community's feedback with regard to RAID1 ( Software or Hardware) implementations with asterisk.

  This is my setup

  Motherboard with SATA RAID1 support
  CENT OS 4.4
  Asterisk 1.2.19
  Libpri/zaptel latest release
  2.8 Ghz Intel processor
  2 80 GB SATA Hard disks
  256 MB RAM
  digium PRI/E1 card

  Following are the concerns I am having

  I'm planing to put this asterisk server in production enviorment which is having E1 connection to the asterisk server, approximately
  20 con-current calls, Music on hold, voice mail boxes.

  1. If I use Software RAID, what would be the impact to my deployment? ( problems that I have to face with regard to the call flow )
  2. If I use Hardware based RAID 1, what would be the impact to the system?
  3. According to your practical experiance what is the ideal solution among both options?

  I will be highly appreciate your feedback on this regard.

  --
  Thanks & Regards,
  Vidura Senadeera,