[asterisk-users] Polycom behind NAT won't register to * server behind ALG

Marty Mastera marty at m3resources.com
Tue Aug 21 19:36:34 CDT 2007

I’ve been tearing my hair out trying to get a Polycom phone (behind a NAT) to register to an * box behind a Cisco SIP ALG.  With known good credentials configured on the phone and in *, I get 403 Bad Auth when trying to register.  If I put the phone onto the same LAN as * it works fine without changing any authentication parameters whatsoever.  If I make the secret blank (null) on the phone and *, it’s registers fine.  An X-Lite softphone works fine, and I already have a Cisco 7960 working in the same scenario but no go with the Polycom (I’ve tried a few different firmware versions, currently up to 2.02).

I also have configured Polycoms behind NAT to configure to * that is not behind a SIP ALG many times without trouble…it’s just with the SIP ALG that I’ve hit this wall…

I found this forum thread which seems to pinpoint the issue, but I’m not really understanding the suggested fix. Does anyone out there understand the MD5 challenge/response and URI stuff that can give me some clue what to do?

HYPERLINK "http://forum.voxilla.com/asterisk-support-forum/sipura-asterisk-registration-failed-wrong-password-18730.html"http://forum.voxilla.com/asterisk-support-forum/sipura-asterisk-registration-failed-wrong-password-18730.html

Thanks!

mmastera

Checked by AVG Free Edition.