[asterisk-users] phone as control interface (was 99 bottles of beer)

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Tue Aug 21 15:08:02 CDT 2007

Steve Prior wrote:

> What I was thinking about was what if instead of a dialtone you are
> brought directly to a home automation voice menu which works in
> parallel with your normal dial plan.  If you wanted to make a call,
> just ignore the voice menu and dial normally.  If you wanted to
> turn on the lights, just say "lights on." or somesuch.  Having a
> traditional dialtone seems unnecessary when you can get more function
> instead.
>
> The trick is doing this without giving up on the use of nice existing
> GUIs to manage the dialplan that we have now.  I'd like some way of
> merging in the "voice dialtone" function with the existing dialplan
> such that initially both are active, but as soon as either a phrase is
> recognized or a button is pressed the system branches to one or the other,
> but that button or phrase is passed through to the rest of the processing
> and not just an extra prompt getting in the way.

Now that the idea is coming back to me a bit, here's a possiblity.
When the phone is picked up it is auto-dialed into the voice driven/home control application AGI.
At this point there are three options:

1. User utters a voice command.
2. User presses a touch tone which is meant for home control.
3. User presses a touch tone meant for the dial plan.

option 2 vs 3 would be determined by internal extensions starting with
a given number and dial 9 to reach an outside line, so other digits
could be used for home control.

As soon as option 3 is detected the voice AGI "stuffs the touch tone back
into the processing buffer", transfers to the normal diaplan, and exits.
 From there the normal dialplan handles the call normally.

So, does anyone know if it is possible to stuff a touch tone event back into the
processing stream so it can be handled by the new dialplan context?

Steve