[asterisk-users] Saftware RAID1 or Hardware RAID1 with Asterisk

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Aug 21 10:12:30 CDT 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Steve Totaro wrote:

> I thought that was what the flashing LEDs on the front of the server's
> HDs were for (besides showing activity). Some I have seen also have an
> LED near the power button to indicate HD problems.
>
> I guess if you are building your own boxen and not using enterprise
> grade servers, this is not the case.

Some of us take "enterprise grade servers", but decide to not use some of
the facilities they offer - for a whole host of reasons. Eg. right now
Dell[1] don't offer RAID-6 in hardware, so I do it in software, bypassing
their on-board RAID-5 controllers.

And when a server's 300 miles away (as some of mine are) a blinky light
isn't much use )-:

Gordon

[1] Not that I particulatly regard Dell as "enterprise grade" but that's
for another list, and was just using it as an example here.