[asterisk-users] Nokia cell connected to Asterisk

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Aug 21 08:59:41 CDT 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Steve Totaro wrote:

> Well chan_bluetooth is really amazing (especially if your phone does not
> support SIP).
>
> You connect your phone via bluetooth to your asterisk box and it becomes
> a channel type.  You can use it as an extension(FXS) or a phone line
> (FXO).  I believe you can send and receive SMS through the
> phone/Asterisk as well.
>
> Chan_bluetooth README is in the asterisk-addons trunk and gives you
> basic instruction on setting it up.
>
> You get several added pieces of functionality with this setup.  SMS send
> and receive through your phone using Asterisk?, FXO failover or LCR, FXS
> where your cell phone becomes an extension.

Does FSX really work? Can I really use my mobile as an extension? How do I
make my mobile phone dial out over bluetooth rather than it's GSM
connection?

If this really is the case, does it then create the "holy grail" of one
phone for everything?

Does it support one to many?

I'm imagining an office where I connect a bluetooth dongle on the end of a
long USB cable up to the middle of the room, into the PBX which many
mobile phones can then access and let the punters use their mobiles to
make/take calls via the PBX when in the office and use them as normal
mobile when out of the office... So in the office, mobile rings via bt,
when no bt connection, then it rings out via the PSTN to the mobile. (or
via another GSM gateway)

But I'm really clueless on bluetooth use - other than sending cheeky
messages to other peoples mobiles and connecting my borg implant to my mob
when driving!

I also know I can probably do this with mob's that have WiFi and SIP
clients too, however ...

Gordon