[asterisk-users] Saftware RAID1 or Hardware RAID1 with Asterisk

Zane C.B. v.velox at vvelox.net
Tue Aug 21 07:45:32 CDT 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:33:23 +0530
"Vidura Senadeera" <vidurased at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I would like to get community's feedback with regard to RAID1
> ( Software or Hardware) implementations with asterisk.
>
> This is my setup
>
> Motherboard with SATA RAID1 support
> CENT OS 4.4
> Asterisk 1.2.19
> Libpri/zaptel latest release
> 2.8 Ghz Intel processor
> 2 80 GB SATA Hard disks
> 256 MB RAM
> digium PRI/E1 card
>
> Following are the concerns I am having
>
> I'm planing to put this asterisk server in production enviorment
> which is having E1 connection to the asterisk server, approximately
> 20 con-current calls, Music on hold, voice mail boxes.
>
> 1. If I use Software RAID, what would be the impact to my
> deployment? ( problems that I have to face with regard to the call
> flow ) 2. If I use Hardware based RAID 1, what would be the impact
> to the system? 3. According to your practical experiance what is
> the ideal solution among both options?
>
> I will be highly appreciate your feedback on this regard.

1: Software RAID on Linux is way less than impressive. Plus last a I
checked Linux can't handle mirroring a entire disk. Last I looked at
it around a year ago you were limited to only mirroring partitions,
which is a joke from a administrative standpoint.
2: No real impact other than a bad disk won't mean a reinstall.
3: On Linux, go hardware. On FreeBSD it is personal choice.