[asterisk-users] Saftware RAID1 or Hardware RAID1 with Asterisk

Russ Price kxt at fubegra.net
Tue Aug 21 07:17:15 CDT 2007

C F wrote:
> ~# cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid1]
> md0 : active raid1 sdb2[2](F) sda2[1]
>       76139968 blocks [2/1] [_U]
>
> unused devices: <none>
>
> The above is from an active system that one hdd failed. It would take
> way longer to find such a thing on a hardware raid. Unless it came
> with a program that emails me notification on such a failure.

Also, speaking of email notifications, the mdadm program that controls
Linux software RAID has a monitor mode with that capability. One of my
own systems is a file server that had four 120GB SATA drives in software
RAID5 configuration, using a pair of PCI controller cards. A few months
back, one of the drives failed (shortly after the three-year warranty
expired, hmmmmm), and I got a note in my inbox about it. The array
continued running in degraded mode, so I made one last backup, replaced
the old drives with three 500 GB units (again in RAID5), and restored
the contents onto the new array.

Of course, once this array gets full enough, I'm going to have to get
one of those 1 TB drives in an eSATA enclosure to back things up. USB2
is too slow now. :/ At least the new drives have five-year warranties -
hopefully they should hold up at least that long.

	Russ