[asterisk-users] Quick DUNDi Poll Questions, For All Asterisk Users, Please Give Feedback

Dave Fullerton dfullertasterisk at shorelinecontainer.com
Mon Aug 20 08:03:51 CDT 2007

JR Richardson wrote:
> Questions:
>
> 1. Is the wiki DUNDi example and the dundi.conf file too difficult to
> follow for new users?
>
> 2. Does the complexity of the DUNDi setup discourage you from using it
> or even attempting to configure it?
>
> 3. If there was a simple tutorial, step by step guide with easy to
> setup and test examples, would this encourage more users to
> investigate and use DUNDi?
>
> I'm interested in putting together a new-user tutorial about DUNDi
> configuration and setup.  There is a lot of great information, setup
> guides already but the feedback I get is that the current examples are
> a bit complicated to follow for new users.
>
> Your feedback is appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> JR

I just happened to spend some time this weekend messing with DUNDi after
hearing the discussion on the asterisk users conference. I would say
there is definitely room for improvement in the documentation. I did
manage to get it working but there were a few things that would have
helped me get moving more quickly:

* I took me quite a while (and I'm still not sure I get it all) to
understand what exactly a dundi context is. What are best-practices in
naming them? Where else does this name get used? Something that showed
the relationships between dundi context in the mappings section, the
peers section and how it's used (and I mean more than just "use a
switch=>" statement) in the dialplan would be helpful.

* Stating more clearly that the [mappings] section of dundi.conf
determines how OTHER systems map dundi searches in a specific dundi
context to extentions.conf contexts and how to connect to them on THIS
system.

* I had to guess a little bit about how to use dynamic peers. dundi.conf
has a register=yes option but it doesn't specify how you told asterisk
that it had a dynamic address. Knowing how it's done in IAX and SIP I
just copied that syntax and it seemed to work. Also, an example with a
dynamic peer would be helpful. I haven't gotten this far in testing, but
if a site has a dynamic address how do you set up the IAX channel so the
static side can contact the dynamic via IAX?

As for your #2 and #3 questions:
Once you have a basic understanding of what the components of DUNDi are
and how they work I think it's only slightly more complex than setting
up an IAX trunk between two systems. Which is all you're really doing
anyway with some added features.

I think simple examples showing you how to setup a DUNDi cloud with two
systems that explained what each part of the config file accomplished
would be very helpful to new users. A HOWTO that gives me a cookie
cutter config file and says "put host A address here, put host B address
here..." may get me a working setup but I still don't have any idea how
to expand it without understanding it.

My 2 cents anyway.

-Dave