[asterisk-users] Change Packetization Time

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Sun Aug 19 11:58:33 CDT 2007

Dovid wrote:

>     Does anyone know if it is possible to change the
> packetization time in Asterisk ? I was told by a client
> of mine that adjusting this with using G729 can greatly
> lower the amount of bandwidth used.

Your client is correct.  Configurable packetization was added
introduced with the release of 1.4.0.  For details look at the
rtp-packetization.txt file in the doc directory for full details.

The short answer is to append :<size> to any codec on your allow
directive that you want to change from the default of 20ms.
Ex.
Allow=g729:40

Dan