[asterisk-users] Patent issues, what features we can't use?

Lacy Moore - Aspendora aspendora at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 23:53:31 CDT 2007

On 8/16/07, Zeeshan Zakaria <zishanov at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is really ridiculous. So this means that now nobody can use
> fax-to-email without paying to J2 first?

Welcome to America!  Home of the Ridiculous!  The crazier and ridiculous it
is, the more it's likely to be true.

But, seriously, I was under the understanding that you only had to get a
license if you are offering it to external (non employees) and/or
selling/bundling the service.

If you are using it internally for your company, I didn't think you had to
have a license.  But, I've been wrong before, I'm not an attorney, and I no
of no attorneys worth even asking the time.  THe one's I know would give you
five different answers as to what time it is just to cover their butts.

To be on the safe side, we kill a tree everytime a fax comes in.  I'm sure
that's patented too, though.