[asterisk-users] iaxmodem, chan_capi, hylafax problem and faxing in general

Faris Raouf asterisk at raouf.net
Wed Aug 15 10:42:57 CDT 2007

Can anybody point me in the right direction please? I'm having some issues
getting iaxmodem and hylafax to talk to each other.

I have no doubt that someone has had this type of issue before but I can't
find anything useful in the archives or on Google.

Under RH9, with chan_capi 7.1, Asterisk 1.2.24, with an AVI Fritz ISDN2e BRI
card all working perfectly...

I've downloaded and installed iaxmodem (2 days ago -- latest version - I'm
not able to check exact release from where I am right now). It runs OK, and
registers with Asterisk.

I've downloaded and installed hylafax (again 2 days ago -- latest version).
It installs OK and runs.

I copied the suggested config file from iaxmodem directory to
/var/spool/hylafax/config/etc (unchanged)

I run iaxmodem before starting hylafax, and a device /dev/ttyIAX appears.
Running iaxmodem in non-daemon mode shows no errors. I've not modified the
default iaxmodem config other than in terms of username and password etc to
register with asterisk.

The problem is that when I run faxstat, it does not show hylafax connected
to any tty.

And when I try to run faxaddmodem (just to see what might happen) and select
ttyIAX, I get an error saying that hylafax can't detect the speed of the
device and that I should set it manually, and then iaxmodem promptly crashes
at that point.

I've poked and prodded generally but I'm getting nowhere.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to start looking for the cause
of the problem?

For that matter, is this the right way to go? The idea is to have a central
fax server running on the Asterisk box, receiving and sending via the ISDN
BRI line. Ideally I'd like fax to email facilities and some point, and the
ability for clients across our network to send faxes.

I've seen that there's also another option, Astrifax, but that seems to
require a separate installation of spandsp, java, and other bits which seems
like a bit of overkill.

Pointers or suggestions would therefore be appreciated.

Faris.