[asterisk-users] CallerID Error causes problems for Polycom phones

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Wed Aug 15 10:13:55 CDT 2007

Am Mittwoch, den 15.08.2007, 10:14 -0400 schrieb Lee Jenkins:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been dealing with a certain issue with a particular customer site
> for months now.  The problem occurs when there is an error with caller
> id as shown in the following:
>
> WARNING[16036]: chan_zap.c:6309 ss_thread: CallerID returned with error
> on channel 'Zap/3-1'
>
> When this happens, it appears that the call still goes through as I can
> see the caller still navigating through the systems menus and dialplan
> by watching the CLI.
>
> The problem however is manifested with polycom 301's that are setup with
> the system.  When a call comes in after receiving that particular caller
> id error, the polycoms, which are on a group ring by the way, will all
> ring but you cannot pickup the call.  The Answer|Reject soft buttons
> display, but only the reject button works.  Pressing the Answer button
> or picking up the handset does nothing.

To me this looks like a firmware problem in your phones. Perhaps a
firmware update could fix this. However - as it looks to me - the
firmware chokes on some CALLERID strings, not on others. What is the
caller id that is displayed in the error case? Perhaps you could get
around by having a dialplan hook that rewrites the callerid to "000" if
that invalid callerid comes in. Maybe those phones just choke on
CALLERIDs with empty num or name.... With your test .call file that
reproduces the problem, if you insert a line in your dialplan before the
Dial() happens, that reads
	Set(CALLERID(all)=000)
does that help? Does
	Set(CALLERID(num)=000)