[asterisk-users] Patent issues, what features we can't use?

Mark Coccimiglio n3whx at amsat.org
Wed Aug 15 04:13:08 CDT 2007

Zeeshan,
First off, if your fear of being sued is what stops you from doing
business then get out of the industry or get over it.  Its a risk we all
take everyday (not just in VoIP).  You build up a core of Insurance and
"Defensive Patents" to protect yourself.  Risk is just part of doing
business.  Elements of the Asterisk that are "clearly" incompatible with
the Dual License model are not included in the regular distribution.
You "may" find them as add-on modules or in Trunk (If it supports a free
development/education license) but not as a part of the "regular
distribution".

To address the real issue... In the USA in recent years companies have
been granted "broadly worded" patents. People at the patent office are
clerks and not engineers.  Plus, they have to deal with ALL INDUSTRY
(e.g. Medical, Aviation, Computer Science, Earth Science, Early
Childhood Development, Mining, Agriculture, Automotive, Maritime,
Textile, Nuclear Physics, Beauticare, Electronics, Chemistry, Mechanics,
Pharmaceutical, etc...etc...etc...)  not just Telecom.  It is quite
literally impossible to understand enough about everything to make clear
judgments as to what is truly patentable and what is not.  The patent
office position is basically "Spell it out to us and let the courts
figure out the rest."  While most "broadly worded" patents are
unenforceable it still takes a legal process to get the patents
dismissed as "too vague".   That process can be VERY costly for the
person sued as well as the suer (sp).  For a large telecom is all just
part of the cost of doing business.  Most smaller companies (e.g. us
guys) are forced to settle because we haven't the millions of dollars
needed to defend ourselves.

Now that being said where does the g729 patent (and the like) fit in?  A
patent like g729 is actually VERY specific about what it does and how to
do it.  Sure its a "software patent" but there is little room in the
wording about what it accomplishes, by what means and the limitations of
the patent.  Plus the price is very reasonable at $10/channel
(non-transcoding pass through requires no License).  Additionally, g729
is not the only game in town when it comes to low-bandwidth codecs.
(Personally I like to use g726-32 its lightweight and transcodes to/from
uLaw easily...but I digress).  This varies from some other software
patents for "One-Click-Checkout" or "Online Shopping Cart".  They are
both patented and every challenge has been settled out of court, thus
they still stand a viable patents.

Ultimately the question comes down to..."Do you want to stay home and
hide or would you rather come out and play?"

Just my input,
Mark C.

--
As I slowly sip my coffee I feel my humanity start to slip back into me and realize what a foul beast humanity really is.