[asterisk-users] BLF with Aastra

James FitzGibbon james.fitzgibbon at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 08:06:18 CDT 2007

On 8/14/07, Matt <mhoppes at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a 536i expansion module attached to a 57i-CT.   The BLF lights
> on the 536i will light up and work fine for a while... however after a
> bit they seem to loose their ability to see if someone is on a phone.
> They still work to dial, if I try to dial, however, they don't light
> up when someone makes a call, or if their phone rings.     If I reboot
> the phone, the lights start working again (for a while).

Does 'sip show subscriptions' indicate that the 57i is still subscribed to
the extension for updates?  If not, you might have to do a test with 'sip
debug peer aastraname' to confirm that the subscription is being made
properly on phone startup and not being removed by the phone in response to
some state change.

A quick glance at chan_sip.c indicates that if a user agent tries to
subscribe with an expiry time greater than 'maxexpiry' from
sip.conf(default 3600 seconds), the subscription expiry in Asterisk
will be silently
changed to whatever the allowed maximum is.  So if the Aastra is trying to
subscribe for say 3 hours and Asterisk doesn't allow subscriptions greater
than one hour, then notify messages will stop being sent after one hour
until the Aatra re-subscribes.  I haven't delved in very deep, so I can't
tell if the response to the UA indicates the actual expiry Asterisk used,
but even so you'd have to be certain that the Aastra respects an expiry in
the response that differs from what it asked for.

When you're doing the debug (hopefully on a quiet system), watch the phone
boot, then use 'sip show subscriptions' to get the call-id of the
subscription.  Then watch for console messages indicating that the call has
been destroyed (which should come at the 1 hour mark or whatever time the
Aastra used for it's subscription length.

--
j.