[asterisk-users] New Pico-ITX

Dermot Bradley dermot.bradley at sla-mobile.com
Sun Aug 12 14:56:31 CDT 2007

> I'm sure it will run linux+asterisk just fine with a 1GHz Via C7
> processor as there are many platforms out there using that
> combination (or the Via C3)

I recently gave up trying to use Jetway J7F2 motherboards (VIA C7 and
VIA IDE/SATA/Ethernet) as they proved too unstable with Linux. I never
managed to find the root cause - there's 1 box here that's rock solid
and two others that keep locking up (only powercycle will clear) - one
of the boxes locks up on average once per day.

I'm not the only person having lockups on C7 systems either - there's
chats on the VIA Linux forum about this.

I'm now using Micro-ATX systems with Dual Core Athlons (the EE versions)
- it ends up the same price to build as the Mini-ITX systems but has
more horsepower and is better supported in Linux.

VIA C3 & C7 systems have been known to have DMA-related issues for some
time.

Stirk, Lamont & Associates Ltd.
Registered Address: Thomas Andrews House, Queens Road, Belfast,  BT3 9DU
Registered in Northern Ireland, Number: NI 47983. VAT Number: 832 2778 22