[asterisk-users] Major Digium Card Problems

Steve Totaro stotaro at first-notification.com
Fri Aug 10 06:52:30 CDT 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 09:22:34PM -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
>
>> I try not to spring any surprises on my customers.  If it is a new
>> punch-out, I will make sure that building maintenance is aware of the
>> requirements.  They are usually very helpful for these kind of issues.
>>

> Sure.  But we were talking about installers who do it *wrong*.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jr 'at least, *I* was' a

Luckily, I was trained by a guy that had been doing telcom work for
forty years.  He used to be a lineman in the Philippines (no bucket
trucks there, all pole climbing).

He came to the US and worked in CA as a phone system installer.  An
absolute perfectionist.  Almost to the point of being annoying but being
his "apprentice" was more valuable than anything else I could imagine.

Grounding, perfect.  All mounted equipment perfectly level, all wiring
and cross connects perfect.  Being from LA, he taught me to always leave
a loop or slack in crossconnects for earthquakes and several feet of
extra coiled cable in the ceiling just in case a block needed to be
moved down the road.  If anything was "ugly" or not perfect, he would
re-do the whole thing.  I don't know how many 66 blocks I had to
re-terminate to a 25 pair cable because it was not "pretty enough".

Anyways, most "data" guys do not understand this stuff.  It would
certainly make a great chapter in a future Asterisk book if the "data"
guys took the time to read and understand it.  Maybe a short segment at
AstriCon or something on AsteriskTV?

I had the great fortune of being a "data" guy with several years of
telco experience, mostly working with a top notch phone system installer.

Now, I can go into any telco closet and know quite a bit about the
installer's ability and work ethic.

Thanks,
Steve