[asterisk-users] les.net losing DID's

Alex Robar alex.robar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 15:17:01 CDT 2007

Jon,

No, not at all - Sorry, that's not what I meant. Indeed, a local extension
would be quite prohibitively expensive.

What we tend to do with people who require out-of-area calling ability is
grab a toll free DID from a bit of a bigger or more stable provider. Here in
Ontario, Canada, we've had great success with Unlimitel for providing toll
free DIDs.

AR

On 8/8/07, Jon Pounder <JonP at inline.net> wrote:

> Quoting Alex Robar <alex.robar at gmail.com>:
>

> surely you wouldn't do this where you are getting voip numbers so you
> can have "local numbers" in other areas. Having an analog or other
> rung through like that would be impossible in most cases and hugely
> expensive where actually possible.
>

> > One of the things that we've done is get a standard PSTN line in place
> that
> > rings down to the VoIP lines. In smaller shops there's a single copper
> line,
> > in larger shops they might have a T1/PRI. It's obviously more expensive
> than
> > pure VoIP lines, but the stability of the number is solid; You know that
> > number isn't going away. If you have to change the number that your
> inbound
> > rings down to because your VoIP DID just disappeared, then so be it. Pay
> the
> > fee to your telco and make the change if that happens. But at least you
> know
> > that one number you have that you've published everywhere isn't going
> away
> > anytime soon.
> >
> > We originally found our incumbent very resistant to this type of ring
> > strategy (they didn't want to let the call roll over to a number that
> wasn't
> > theirs), so we moved to using CLECs. Recently we've found that the
> incumbent
> > has allowed us to do this on certain line types too... So much the
> better
> > from a stability perspective.
> >
> > AR
> >
> > On 8/8/07, Jon Pounder <JonP at inline.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Quoting Mail list <asteriskmaillist at gmail.com>:
> >>
> >> In general how painful has this sort of thing been to people so far ?
> >>
> >> I am pretty hesitant to put any sort of number like that on
> >> letterhead, website etc., when there might be doubt about having it
> >> long term when its provided by a small company. It seems you do voip
> >> to save money but to have long term stability you have to get a number
> >> from a large company and the savings disappear, or the terms are
> >> restrictive to use, or some other negative, and then you end up doing
> >> nothing.

> have
> >> they
> but
> dont

> few
> >> days
> of  same

> >> Jon Pounder
> >>
> >>     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/
> >>

> >> Inline Internet Systems Inc.
> >> Thorold, Ontario, Canada
> >>
> >> Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
> >> www.inline.net
> >> www.ihtml.com
> [...]

Alex Robar
alex.robar at gmail.com