[asterisk-users] How to write a function with a return value in Asterisk

Ira ira at extrasensory.com
Wed Aug 8 13:30:38 CDT 2007

At 10:17 AM 8/8/2007, you wrote:
>Digium has taken the stance that Structured Programming is a Bad Idea?

While it seems that way in hindsight, I'd guess that no thought was
put into dialplan programming when it was started and by the time
someone realized it was wrong, the person in charge said, "we can't
break all the current dialplans", which is essentially what it would
take to make any real improvement.  They could have done it going to
1.4, but the longer they wait, the harder it gets. Been there, done
that. Wrote the letter that said, "oops, I designed this wrong and as
soon as you install the new version of my library all your reports
will no longer print correctly."  It sucks, but the sooner you do it,
the better it is in the end.

Ira