[asterisk-users] OT - P-asserted-identity and remote id

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Wed Aug 8 03:51:17 CDT 2007

Hi,

The case I'm working on is :
- a call comes from PSTN to a given extension (say 122)
- a user picks the call up (dialing *8122)  from another extension (say 240)
using a SIP hardphone
- the hardphone (he one with 240 extension) displays the dialed string (here
*8122) instead of original caller-id.

This is logical but I would like to change this default behaviour so that
original caller-id is displayed along or instead of dialed string.

SIP hardphone vendor says it could be either done with :
1. SIP MESSAGE
2. SIP P-asserted-identity
(Unfortunately both way are not supported yet by this phone vendor but
that's another story).

Anyway, I tried to understand what SIP P-asserted-identity is and how it
relates to my case.
I can't see any relation.

Can anyone explain ?

My thoughts are :
- when replying 200 OK to SIP INVITE (from 240 extension), Asterisk server
has to add a field P-Asserted-Identity in SIP header filled with original
caller-id (using SipAddHeader ?)
- when receiving such SIP message, P-Asserted-Identity-enabled SIP phone
would display P-Asserted-Identity field data instead of what it uses to
display
- is this correct ?
- and what if phone also supports caller-name display (phone has embedded
directory and when caller-id matches with a directory entry, it replaces
caller-id with caller-name) ? Shall I understand it will use
P-Asserted-Identity data for directory lookup instead of other SIP header
field ?

Regards