[asterisk-users] Free sitting

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Wed Aug 8 03:38:19 CDT 2007

Am Dienstag, den 07.08.2007, 07:47 +0200 schrieb Olivier:
> So no proper logoff between logins, right ?
>
> As I will apply free sitting in school environment, chances are phones
> would then remain logged-in several hours or days between another user
> logs in.
>
> My thoughts are focused on finding the right balance between cost
> control and ease of use requirements.
>
> Maybe, we should program something like 3 states logins :
> - normal status : user receives call or can call cheap destinations
> - enhanced status : user can call expensive destinations
> - logged off status : no incoming calls
>
> Downgrading from enhanced to normal status is automatic : if a teacher
> is working during off hours, he will still receive incoming calls even
> after "being downgraded" to normal status.
>
> To elevate to enhanced status, you just have to enter your PIN code.
>
> What do you think of this ?
> has anyone tried something approaching ?

This somehow reminds me of how "sudo" works: For the first time you want
to run a "root" command, you have to enter your password. After that,
the password will stick (not be asked again) for a few minutes.

You surely could put together something like that (time based): The
first time you want to place an expensive call, enter your pin: The
phone will be granted access for this call +15 minutes, and every next
usage of the phone (incoming or outgoing) appends additional time. Same
for follow-me function: Keep the person logged in for incoming calls for
90 minutes after the last time he used the phone, or until he logs out.

I would probably implement in like that in an environment like a school
office, where people share desks: They still _can_ logout, but there
will not be much harm if they do not.

An intelligent system could also couple the login to the logout of the
previous teacher (if that is reasonable in that environment), and
auto-login a teacher to the phone adjacent to the PC standing on the
desk...

BR
Anselm