[asterisk-users] Teliax Quality of Service

Mark Coccimiglio n3whx at amsat.org
Tue Aug 7 03:05:55 CDT 2007

Steve Totaro wrote:

>What if a train derails and slices through the main fiber connections.
>OK, so you have XO, Global Crossing, Verizon, and UCN all for
>redundancy.  Well guess what?  They are all most likely running over
>those strands of fiber.  You better have a VSAT connection too!

That's why I lease a few servers in a data center on other side of the
country.  Setup in a "hot stand-by" state.  Its that peace-of-mind you
can't buy any way else.  So it costs a few hundred dollars a month
(actually less then $500).  It  kicks in to take-up capacity when my
main servers gets "real busy" or go off-line for maintenance.  Its
instant and automatic.  Ok sure it took a lot of planning to get it
right, but that's what I get paid to do.

Single point of failure should NEVER completely disable your company.
Yes outages happen and backhoe's cut fibre all the time.  From within
this stuff can make one's life rather difficult, but from the outside it
should be almost unnoticed. When was the last time you noticed an outage
at Google, Microsoft or the DoD?  Do you think they don't happen?

Its not that difficult or all that expensive if planned and implemented
properly.

Mark C.

--
As I slowly sip my coffee I feel my humanity start to slip back into me and realize what a foul beast humanity really is.