[asterisk-users] Teliax Quality of Service

Douglas Garstang DGarstang at interainc.com
Mon Aug 6 16:37:33 CDT 2007

I worked for a CLEC in Montana, not Silicon Valley, not Manhatten, but
rather PODUNK, Montana. We had redundant multi-homed servers, connected
to multiple switches, running OSPF. A failure in any component (server,
network, cable) would cause a failover to a backup component in about 6
seconds. We had multiple upstream providers. The servers where divided
between multiple racks, split between different power plants. We did
just about everything we could to make the setup redundant.

The CPE equipment at any single location might fail, and that wasn't
redundant, but at least if that failed, it would not affect any other
customers. CPE equipment included POE enabled phones, a UPS, a POE
switch and power being delivered from our plant.

Yes, all the equipment was located at the same physical location. In
hindsight, we could have multi-homed our collocations. Why can't service
providers multi home their edge systems to accept incoming calls from
two physical locations? If a service provider did this, they would have
two completely independent facilities, potentially thousands of miles
apart, connected to different upstream providers. I can't think of
anything short of nuclear war that would destroy their ability to accept
calls. If they did least cost routing, it wouldn't even matter if their
providers failed. China gets hit by a meteor and NO provider can deliver
calls to China? Fine... at least you can still call everywhere else.

Maybe it still had some holes, but jeez, at least we tried to deliver
high quality service.