[asterisk-users] Royalty for On Hold Music ?

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Mon Aug 6 10:26:25 CDT 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>> However, if you get caught willfully performing copyrighted music
>> without paying ASCAP, BMI, et al, you're liable for a $100,000 fine
>> ($20,000 per song if it's not deemed willful) per song.
>>

> I wonder how much of *that* money goes to the songwriters.  ;-)
>
> Cheers
> -- jra

I actually tried to find that out (even something anecdotal), but so far
no luck. I'm guessing not that much. The law allows for adjusting the
percentages somewhat on the fly for various reasons (for instance, web
radio performances give much less money to the songwriters than regular
radio performances because they fall under a new category created
specifically to handle web radio), and I imagine that any legal action
that accrued hefty fines would likely be deemed to be mostly
administrative and legal costs as opposed to damages to the songwriter.

Just a guess, though, borne from experience and my cynical nature. ;)

N.