[asterisk-users] polycom custom ring tones (slightly OT)

Rob Schall rschall at callone.net
Mon Aug 6 08:16:38 CDT 2007

With Polycom 501s, creating custom ringtones isn't hard at all.

First, grab your favorite mp3 or wav file and create a file that is
about 10 seconds long (max). If its an mp3, convert it to a wav file.
Next, use this command to ensure the wav file is properly formatted for
a Polycom phone:
sox mywave.wav -r 8000 -U -c1 mywave.wav resample -ql

Now, if you type "file mywave.wav", it should report:
mywave.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, ITU G.711 mu-law,
mono 8000 Hz

Copy this file into your phone's ftp directory (same folder as your
sip.cfg, etc). Make sure it has similar permissions to the default wav
files in that folder.

Finally, you can add this new file either by editing the config files,
or by accessing the phone's config website and adding the filename to
the wav file. Then reboot the phone, and access the phones settings and
the new ringtone will appear if everything worked correctly.

Rob