[asterisk-users] IAX bat phone.

James FitzGibbon james.fitzgibbon at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 08:07:54 CDT 2007

On 8/3/07, Michael Munger <michael at highpoweredhelp.com> wrote:

>  Is there a way to setup an IAX bat phone (immediate=yes) or is this a
> privilege only reserved for ZAP channels?

As I understand it, this would have to be supported by your specific
hard/soft phone.

It's the same with SIP - taking a handset off-hook doesn't cause any traffic
to go to Asterisk.  The first packet from the user agent is sent when the
phone tries to dial something.  Depending on the user agent, this could be
as soon as someone presses a single key (so-called "early dial" with SIP 484
timeout has occurred or send button has been pressed.  Zap FXS ports can
tell when a handset has gone off-hook and take some action based on that due
to the change in electrical impedance.

Some soft-phones support bat-phone operation, though you have to hunt
through the docs to get it to work.  My Linksys SPA942 desk phone has a dial
plan syntax that allows this:

(<:XXXX>S0)

Which means "prefix whatever I type with XXXX and match an empty string,
dialing as soon as you have a match", which causes the phone to calll XXXX
as soon as I take it off hook.  But it's obviously device-specific, and has
nothing to do with SIP or IAX or Asterisk for that matter.  When the call
arrives at my server, it doesn't look any different than a call to XXXX from
a phone with a more traditional dialplan.

--
j.