[asterisk-users] PRI/T1 data rate...

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri Aug 3 09:10:30 CDT 2007

Andrew Joakimsen wrote:

> On 8/2/07, *Forrest W. Christian* <fwc at mt.net <mailto:fwc at mt.net>> wrote:
>
>     Steve Totaro wrote:
>
>     >I knew someone would have an explanation that makes sense.   I have
>     >NEVER done anything but PRI from the Telco.  Wouldn't the question of
>     >signaling and switchtype negate the need to ask for data rate?
>     >
>     >
>     Yes.  But these are probably telco ordering droids, meaning that all
>     they know is that they have to fill in the blanks.
>
>     I recently ordered a LD PRI from a carrier.  I wanted PRI, switchtype
>     either 5ESS or preferrably National.  The order got kicked because I
>     didn't specify whether or not I wanted E&M and which type of e&m
>     (immediate, wink, etc) I wanted.  I seem to recall a couple of other
>     totally non-relevant questions that I had to specify as well...   Or,
>     more specifically, convince the droid which was checking the order for
>     completeness that they weren't needed.
>
>     -forrest

I love fighting with these people trying to convince them that ANI and
CallerID are not the same thing.  Even more senior tech do not seem to
understand this.

When Global Crossing first rolled out it's IP backbone (delivered as a
TDM DS3 PRI).  The only work around I could get them to do was sent
*ani*dnis*, lol.  I had to whip up some dialplan magic to work with
that.  Only problem was that about 30% of the time they would send
missing info such as **dnis*  or *ani**.

I told them that we would not pay the bill for calls like that they are
toll frees and we had no way of knowing if the billing was correct, and
in the case of *ani**, the calls were useless since we had no way to
route the call correctly.  We also could not reconcile bills coming from
transfer partners due to missing ANI.

Finally, after sending CDR logs from asterisk every day for a month,
they found the "bug" in their system.

I swear, these guys make more work for us than what is in the job
description.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks,